AVRO’s Presence at Manchester Ringway
Whilst the Web Site is under construction this is taken from Wikipedia pending our own article.
Avro’s experimental department, located in Ringway’s 1938-built north side hangar between mid-1939 and late 1945, completed the prototype Avro Manchester bomber. This was followed in January 1941 by the prototype of the famous Avro Lancaster bomber. The last warplane prototype to be assembled here was the Avro Lincoln bomber which first flew from Ringway on 9 July 1944. Avro built over 100 Avro York military transport aircraft in the three 1941/42 south side hangars.