No.207 Squadron of Bomber Command operating Lancasters arrived at Langar aerodrome in September 1942 and this coincided with the opening of the A.V. Roe workshops on the west side of the airfield. Although No.207 Squadron moved to Spilsby in October 1943, the Avro workshops continued to carry out maintenance and repairs on No.5 Group Lancasters throughout the whole of the war.
In September 1968 Avro closed down its operations at Langar where, in post war years, Lancastrian, Yorks, Shackletons and even Meteors had passed through and today the Company’s hangars and workshops form part of an industrial estate.
The history of Bracebridge Heath dates back to World War One when a flying field was established to become the centre of aircraft production in the Lincoln area, however, this was closed in 1920.
Some of the former aerodrome buildings were taken over by Avro in 1942 mainly for repair of Lancasters which, when returned to service, were towed the one mile down the main road to the Bomber Command airfield at Waddington.
In post war years the maintenance and overhaul of Ansons played a major part in keeping the facility fully occupied, but the Avro installation was eventually closed in 1979.`