The Roe 1 Triplane first successfully took to the air in June 1909 with Mr Alliot Verdon Roe, the soon to be founder of the World’s first aircraft manufacturing company AVRO, at the controls down at Walthamstow Marshes.
This really was the age of those magnificent men in their flying machines! When Roe took to the air, he was not only testing the machine, he was also learning how to fly! He continued to modify the aircraft as he learned and with a second version flew at Blackpool in the October. They were built at Lea Marshes in London. The success of the Triplane gave AV the momentum to create the Avro company which was started in Manchester at Brownfield Mill the following year.
This particular airframe is a replica of the original and was built by some of the current members of the Avro Heritage Museum, some years ago, for the grandson of A V Roe, Eric Verdon-Roe. It does have a genuine J.A.P engine as in the original albeit this one is a mere youngster being built in 1912!
This replica was built for flight but sadly never quite made it. Several attempts were made at Woodvale but it didn’t have the power to get off the ground.
It required a slight reorganisation of exhibits whilst it was manoeuvred inside but now all is back in place. Whilst this is only the fuselage, and the entire top wing is still to be installed along with the outer portions of the lower two wings as well as the entire tailplane, it is still an impressive piece of kit.
She is still owned by Eric Verdon-Roe and is on loan to the Museum.