James Basil Scutt was born 20/4/1920, and at age 15 joined the RAF at RAF Halton as an Aircraft Apprentice (airframes and engines).
He qualified in the maintenance of the following types of aircraft and airframes between 1938-1948 – Engines Merlin 1 & 2, aircraft Spitfire, Harvard, Oxford, Anson and Dominie.
He Was in Reims, France when Germany overran Northern Europe, and was cut off, having to be evacuated from Santander in Spain. He served throughout the war, based in Northern Scotland (Wick) and also service in South Africa.
His last duty station then was RAF Tangmere.
He left the RAF in 1950, but very soon returned to the service in 1952.
His stations included:
1953-1954 Malta RAF Luqa
1954-1955 RAF Warton
1955-1957 RAF Coningsby – spent time at Woodford (Vulcan) – this was part of the introduction of the Vulcan into RAF service.
1957-1959 101 Sqdn RAF Finningley (Vulcan) Took his Commission in the RAF at Jurby, Isle of Man on the 9th July 1959.
1959-1961 CSDE RAF Swanton Morley (Central Servicing Development Establishment)
1961-1963 RAF Church Fenton (Jet Provosts)
1963-1966 205 Sqdn, RAF Changi (Shackleton)
1966-1970 HQ Bomber Command Knaphill RAF High Wycombe (Vulcan Office)
1970-1973 HQ Near East Air Force RAF Episkopi
He took early retirement due to health reasons on 30th April 1973 when he then went to live in Berwick upon Tweed from 1975 to 1982, where he managed an off-licence and was then landlord of The Black Swan in Seahouses until retirement.
He passed away on 22/2/2009 in Berwick upon Tweed, leaving his wife Betty and five children.